Some thoughts on last week and some musings about this week:
1. The defense played way better against the Steelers last week, especially against the run. Because the Jags don’t have much of a run game, this week the defense needs to make sure it can better defend the pass. The Jags may be awful, but their rookie quarterback Bortles does have a nice arm.
2. Defending the pass might be harder this week. Browns are missing a key defensive lineman in Armonty Bryant, who was placed on injured reserve after last week’s game and is out for the season.
3. Also, K’Waun Williams, the undrafted free agent rookie who played BIG last week, is out with a concussion. This means the rest of the defensive back are going to have to step up.
4. Hopefully Buster Skrine plays like he did last week, making big tackles and coming down with an interception, and not like he played against the Titans (poorly). Hopefully Joe Haden plays better than he has all season.
5. As for the offense, let’s hope Kyle Shanahan sticks with the balanced scheme. Tate and Crowell both ran well last week (minus Crowell’s fumble), and this week Terrance West has been reactivated. Hoyer has plenty of support in the backfield. Hopefully, Shanahan continues to deploy it. (Note–This may be harder this week and for the rest of the season without starting ProBowl Center Alex Mack. Let’s hope Greco and McQuistan can handle the added work.)